[Homeroast] variac basics

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 09:59:19 CST 2010

I like using a variable transformer/variac over going PID. Been using
one with my roaster for 5 years. From all I've heard over the years
there have been many failures with the models out of China. Unless
there have been recent improvements in these I highly recommend
looking for a a US made model Staco, Superior etc., in good condition
used. Many are priced high on ebay but if your patient they can be
found for $50.-$100.

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 1:15 AM,  <msmb at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> After a good number of years I today tried roasting with an air popper once again.  I came across a 1250 Watt Proctor Silex one that was left in a rental property and couldn't resist the temptation of trying it.  I was amazed at how quickly it heated up and how powerfully it kept the beans --86 gramms, same thing I used in my I-roast--  swirling around and ultimately how evenly it roasted.
>
> is it overkill to use a vaciac with this kind of roaster?  if it is not, can someone tell me about vaciacs; I have the scantest knowledge of what they are (I was just reading a bit online).  I take it that if I were to buy one i should get one that plugs into a whall outlet and that has an outlet into which I plug the popper.  Then there is typically a dial that you turn in order to set and  control the wattage of the popper and that by doing this you can carefully control the heat.  I assume that after using the popper enough you will become accustomed to what point on the control keeps the popper at a given temperature.  Is all fo this correct?
>
> Tne next question is what the capacity should be for a variac that will control a 1250 w device.  if i understood correctly I would divide 1250 by 84.5, which suggests a 15 AMP variac.  But that seems like a lot doesn't it?
>
> Then the next question, if it is permitted in this forum; where do you purchase a variac?

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/