[Homeroast] variac basics

Dean dean_schaffran at wildblue.net
Sun Nov 14 09:28:28 CST 2010

Couple of good responses so far, let me add.....

There was a thread related to sizing and ratings compared to duty
cycle a couple of years ago.
Look in the archives--it was miKe & me, et al.

The short answer to sizing is if you're running continuously get a
12-15A rated unit.
If you are running batches with some cool-down in between, 8A should
be OK, a 5A might be enough.
Do the sizing math from the old thread.

Tom used to sell a Variac--a bigger one.  Not sure if it's still
offered......

Otherwise, and I hate to let the cat out of the bag here, but when it
comes to finding stuff online  "Google is your friend" .

'bout to fire up the Behmor in da weeds

Dean