[Homeroast] variac basics

silas coelho silascoelho1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 21:35:22 CST 2010

Variac is also know as variable auto transformer, and basically what does is
to adjust the output voltage as a PROPORTION of input voltage, and I
enphasize proportion, because if your input voltage (115 Volts/127 Volts or
even 220 Volts) changes, the output is also going to change.
When connected to our popcorns it will control the total power of the
popcorn maker,

The issue is, unless your input voltage is constant (seldom the case) your
output power is going to change over time (means your temperature + motor
speed for the fan as well). But it does the work for  most of cases, giving
you a bit of control of the temperature for the poppers. If you want to go
even further, a suggestion will be to adapt a switch to turn on/off the
heater on the popper allowing you to have a 'cool down fan' (depending on
the popper it will require much more then just switch)

Hope will not be against the list police (no competition here) Radio Shack
and similar stores would have variacs, I will  divide 1250w/114 Volts giving
around 11 A, but going to the safe side stick to the 15 A (it is a lot)

regards

Silas