[Homeroast] heat gun method

Bill S. wsmailmagnet at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 14:30:45 CST 2010

At about the same point at which you are, I decided to buy a non-contact
infrared thermometer. Most are good to 1000F, and I have found mine to be
accurate in any roasting method where you can see (shoot at) the roasting
beans.  It has also been useful for home projects where I needed to know the
temperature of a surface.

I addressed the air-vs-bean temperature issue by putting the probe in the
center of the bean mass (using SM's digital thermometer, in a homemade air
roaster, using a HG).  This way, the hot air hitting the probe has been
through half the beans, the beans are contacting the probe, and the airflow
over the probe is "average".  I compared readings from my non-contact
thermometer with the probed thermometer, and found that the tempeatures were
consistent enough for me to rely on the probe.

In the set-up you describe, the thermometer could be reading a higher or
lower temperature than "true" bean temperature.  If the thermometer is hit
by the hot air before the beans, it will read higher than the beans. If the
probe is out of the airflow, and is heated by radiant heat from the beans
nearby, then the temperature will be lower than the beans. If the beans are
not adequately agitated, the temperature of the beans themselves will vary
(you indicated some variance in roasted bean color).