[Homeroast] Alp overheated and shut down

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Mon Nov 8 05:27:38 CST 2010

At 12:05 AM 11/8/2010, you wrote:
>I hate to suggest that a machine that works well for 10 years is a toy- so I
>won't. Instead I ask- "How much more do you want from it?"

Let me chime in here by saying that those of us who have had an Alp
for that length of time didn't have the current variety of roasters
to choose from when we bought it.  As I recall, the Alp was the first
home sized drum roaster that could do a half pound per roast.

Mine has served me very well.  I am a casual roaster.  It is not a
hobby and I don't obsess over it.  I set the roast level, press the
button and go about my business.  I may not get the "most" out of
each bean but what I get is very acceptable.

I'd also like to say that making a thermal fuse out of a piece of
wire or worse, solder, is VERY dangerous if you don't know what you
are doing.  If it melts due to an overheat, you need to think very
carefully about what the molten pieces do and what they could short
to.  Much better to get a real thermal fuse, properly rated, from a
place like Digikey.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, Michigan USA