[Homeroast] Alp overheated and shut down

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 23:05:41 CST 2010

I hate to suggest that a machine that works well for 10 years is a toy- so I
won't. Instead I ask- "How much more do you want from it?"

Amortize the purchase price over the ten years and that's some inexpensive
roasting isn't it? The USRC would be less expensive over it's lifetime but
it roasts commercial quantities compared to the Alp's home use-thermal fuse
design. I have the fix for thermal fuses that disable your machine at the
Murphy Moment.

Look at the ampacity charts for Copper AWG wire. Properly sized wire will
limit current flow and it will melt, so it forms a re-calibrated thermal
fuse.

If you are serious about limiting the temperature below ~2000° F, use a
piece of plumber's 50:50 wire solder for the link. Most solder has similar
properties, but the 63:37 ratio, known as Eutectic solder has no plastic
range, and melts almost instantly at 180°C or 360°F.

Even a fat link will melt the same, and Big Brother will approve your
ingenious Dummkopf protection. It would melt on every second contiguous
roast. They'll love it.

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!

Got Grinder?