[Homeroast] Roasting Jimma

Charlie Herlihy zapcafe at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 21:09:35 CST 2010

Don't feel bad. I've been roasting coffee for 35+ years and I went through 50 lbs of this before I could get the roast I was looking for,with all the special flavors I'd read about in reviews. I watched it race through first crack right into second even using my usual DP Ethiopian profile that takes into account the delicate nature of the extra dryness of a whole dried coffee. I kept roasting with less and less heat as first crack approached, and beyond, but only got less overoasted FC++, then FC+, then FC-finally-the city+ roast I wanted. Mostly I was roasting 5 lb batched in my RK drum/gas grill, lowering the gas more before 1st started, then opening the grill lid a bit after 1st started, then opening the lid all the way and leaving it open as 1st started and cutting the gas until end of roast-that worked. In my Behmore it went the same way. Best roast was P1 until 1st started, then opened the door all the way-good cracking for 2 minutes hit cool.
 After a few days rest a sublime cup. Hard to compare with Misty Valley which was much easier to roast and very fruit forward in your face powerful, but very very balanced mix of fruits and more, very well liked by everyone who tried it. I wish I could get more now that I finally can roast it.

 Charlie