[Homeroast] Roasting Jimma

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 12:08:21 CST 2010

I'm not using a Behmore, so can't speak specifically to that, but what I've found when roasting DP Ethiopians like this is the importance of a 30-45 second "stall" of sorts before actually entering first.  I'm spoiled by having air and bean probes so I know right where my temperature is at.

Generally what I try to do is "race" up to just before first crack and hold temp around 395F for about 30-45 seconds, then slam it with full/full (heat/conv) until about 412F; then turn everything off and let the temp slowly (4F/min) slide up until 420F, then do some coasting until it's where I want it; for Jimma that would be 432F.  I try to have the initial pausing happen from 10:30-11:15, with the first snaps of first happening at 11:15-11:30.

That sort of pause before first seems to help the beans sort of gather themselves and "prepare for first."  I think it helps slow down the development in the outliers and let the beans that aren't as developed "catch up."  This normally helps to structure my first crack into a more defined first, without as much "here and there" cracking.

((These profiles and temperatures are on a CCR Hottop))

-bry
Bryan Wray
Compass Coffee
360.831.1480
Bryan at CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens