[Homeroast] Roasting Jimma

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 11:20:38 CST 2010

I have now gotten through some roasts from my stash of Jimma.  I'm using a 335 g load in a Behmor on P2 1lb.  P2 is my usual profile as it allows me to stretch out the gap between 1st and 2nd.  Fiddling with the "bean load" or picking A, B, C etc. allows some fine tuning.  What's weird with Jimma, is that 1st seems to roll right into 2nd.  I have seen this before with other coffees when using too much heat and 1st is hit too energetically.  Jimma doesn't seem to care about the momentum going into first.  Whether I hit it hard or gently, there are still lots of outliers before and after 1st - so many that I have a hard time hearing a defined gap between 1st and 2nd.  Regardless, this coffee is spectacular - can't wait to see the results when I nail the roast.

Anyone else see this sort of behavior with Jimma?

Bob