[Homeroast] Oh no; my I-Roast I

msmb at suddenlink.net msmb at suddenlink.net
Sun Nov 7 00:31:46 CDT 2010

My poor, dear IR-I is having a problem and I wonder if anyone knows of a way to fix it. When I turn it on it sounds like your electric drill when the bushings are shot.  It pretty nearly got through a 7 minute roast with lots of noise and then smoke started to come out of it, a few beans turned oily, and I finally saw some sparks fly.  I removed the beans --not sure I can use that roast-- and tried again with nothing in it.  Same noise and inside it looked like there was a flame.  Turned it off immediately.

I must have the machine several years --I got it used and bought a new glass container for it-- and have probably roasted a few hundred pounds.  Sometimes I use it every day and even a few times per day (after proper cooling) if I want to roast up a pound of coffee.  I have been roasting 86 grams at a time.

Does anyone think there is any hope.  It has been a wonderful machine!