[Homeroast] Heading OT: Single cup brewers

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 20:43:14 CDT 2010

I didn't misunderstand your point, I just clouded mine by mentioning espresso.

Though I mentioned espresso machines I didn't mean that I'm only picky about who I supply "espresso" to.

In fact, I think manually brewed coffee is just as finicky as espresso. My point revolved around the fact that if someone approaches a Trifecta with the mindset, "The roaster told me this is how to do it" and then pushes 4 buttons to have a cup of tasty coffee splooge out, then they can go get their coffee elsewhere.

If they aren't willing to commit to bettering themselves, tinkering with brewing parameters and the art and craft that is barista, then they might as well go full auto and throw all caution out the door as far as I'm concerned.

There are three things that I look out for in a customer: personality, persistence and passion.

I guess it just boils down to not wanting to hold a wholesale customer's hand and tell them how they should brew every single coffee.  There should be a drive inside them and inside their employees to explore coffee in a practical and personal manner.  I don't think this machine provides that.  I think if the person truly possessed the necessary passion they wouldn't want a machine to do it for them, they would want to learn how to be better than the machine; if they don't care then eventually my profession and passion becomes obsolete.

...man those player pianos sure are something to watch aren't they!  The passion in the programming is just astounding!

-bry

Bryan Wray
Compass Coffee
360.831.1480
Bryan at CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens