[Homeroast] Single cup brewers

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 23:41:01 CDT 2010

No offense, but we wouldn't sell our coffee to a high volume commercial customer with untrained counter help.

We'd work with them, train them, develop palate training practices... but in the end, if they just didn't care then we just wouldn't bother.

I'm not going to bust my @$$ to roast 15 different Centrals in a 2 week span, and cup them, and brew them under different parameters, and dial them on the espresso machine with a daunting and unending number of variables if in the end I'm delivering it to the doorstep of someone that doesn't give a damn.  Especially when you factor in that a typical week is 100 hours BEFORE any of those things come into play.

The "high quality single serve solution for untrained counter help" doesn't exist.  Have them wash dishes for 2 months and tell them to pay attention to what happens on the bar.  If after a month of scrubbing they feel like coffee is still something they want to explore, then they are worth my time and can start running the register or something like that.  But if they are just in it for the shortcut, then perhaps they should turn their focus to super-auto espresso machines, beans that don't cost as much and staggering their "special of the day" to keep their customers guessing who'll be getting the freebie that afternoon ("Ooo look! Punchcards!"  Now THAT'S a loyal customer... *eyeroll*).  There's a hell of a big market out there for mediocre, but I don't want my name associated with it and I know miKe doesn't either.

-bry

Bryan Wray

Compass Coffee

360.831.1480

Bryan at CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens