[Homeroast] Single cup brewers

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 03:31:55 CDT 2010

I have countless hours in on Clover machines in lab settings, got to play around for probably a collective 3 hours with the Trifecta this past weekend at Coffeefest and rock pour-overs all day long on whatever bar I'd happen to be working on that day... and you know what...
V60 all the way.  I don't know of a real barista that actually likes those stupid machines.  If you put time in, you can get some pretty great cups off of a Clover or a Trifecta, but it's a hellofa lot of work to master one.
Speaking to the "automation" part:
Ever use a Behmor?  Ever use one of it's profiles?  Ever use a programmable Hottop?  Ever use a pump driven espresso machine?  Automation is all around the home-barista/roaster world.
I know I'm opening a door that I probably shouldn't when I say this but...
Man I love how people that "aren't in the industry" bash everyone that is as if they know exactly what's going on all the time.  Comments referring to how people won't clammer behind a product unless it is expensive and automated just frustrate me.  Know what the most talked about item at Coffeefest was this week?  The K-Cone.  But because you aren't in the industry you probably have no idea what it is...  Frustrating indeed.
Venting over.
The main thing I see as a positive with the Trifecta in particular is temperature stability.  The sealed chamber does quite a bit for it.  You think your Clever brews are tasty?  Try doing one where the temperature doesn't drop 12-16 degrees over the coarse of the 4 minute brewing cycle.  And that's why you don't see them "in the industry."   ;)
... but I still hate the thing.
-bry

Bryan Wray

Compass Coffee

360.831.1480

Bryan at CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens