[Homeroast] Quest M3

ricky carter rickylc99 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 15:30:37 CDT 2010

ginny,

I've had my Quest for less than a week, and I absolutely love it.  My "test"
bean surpassed all expectations and I can't wait to get more roasts in.

I started out with the Costa Rica Dota Tarrazu "Sangre de Toro".  The reason
I chose this bean was that I was rather unimpressed by the results I got
when roasting it on the Behmor.  Not bad mind you, but not WOW either.  The
flavors were nice, but nothing that stood out.

My very first roast on the Quest was too long of a dry phase, too long of a
ramp to 1st and too quick on the finish.  It showed in the cup.

On the second roast I made adjustments and got closer to what I wanted and
ZING!  this bean came alive!  Just spectacularly sweet, nice acidity,
honeyed chocolate tones and amazing aroma.

I had chosen this bean because I felt I wouldn't mind if I ruined a couple
batches learning how to operate the Quest and now I wish I had another 20
lbs!  I am really a rank amateur when it comes to roasting knowledge
and ability, yet a new flavor experience has been opened up to me on just
the second roast from this machine.

Since then I have roasted Jimma, Los Chuchos Colombian, and the Guji Oromo
WP Ethiopian, all are still resting (less than 16 hours out from roast right
now ).  If I have the same experience with these beans as I had with the
Sangre de Toro, I will be in coffee heaven!

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's a blast to operate!

:D