[Homeroast] Coffee & A Brewski

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Tue Nov 2 06:18:27 CDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 3:10 PM, David T wrote:

> I have a local small batch brewer who wants to collaborate with me to brew a beer that incorporates coffee.  Do any of you have any experience or resources on the best coffee brewing method for use in beer?  Cold brew? Drip? Press?  I told him that cold brew with a cold infusion may be the way to go. Thoughts? I was thinking something like the Amber Blend for a stout and I thought a light roast African would be awesome in an IPA -Gary

When I assisted a (then) roommate with a coffee ale, he made a concentrated 3gal wort, to which we added 2 gallons of drip brewed guatemalan. He used an aged hops, which reduces the bitter notes in the beer, allowing the coffee to shine through better. The goal was "a cup of coffee in every pint" - since a "coffee cup" is 6-8 ounces, that hit it about right.

It was quite tasty. I don't recall any other details of the recipe - it was a looong time ago. He was the beer expert, I was the coffee guru.

-
allon