[Homeroast] Single cup brewers

Derek Bradford derekbradford at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 18:41:43 CDT 2010

So true.  I have a Vivaldi II and I also use an Aeropress.  It's hard to
convince people that sometimes the AP is better for a coffee than the VII.
If for some reason I couldn't have espresso at home anymore, I'd be
reasonably content with an Aeropress (once the initial shock of being
espressoless passed, that is.)

--Derek

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Rich <rich-mail at octoxol.com> wrote:

> But just pouring hot water over a fiber cone containing ground coffee and
> allowing it to drip into a receiving container has absolutely no snob appeal
> nor does it cost thousands of dollars.  This will never do as everyone knows
> that it takes thousands of dollars worth of high tech equipment and a
> special training class to brew excellent coffee.
>

> On 11/01/2010 05:34 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee wrote:
>
>> My 2 cents: the Trifecta from Bunn is an automated aeropress, and I
>> don't think it is the best single serve machine.
>>
>> There is HUGE money right now on single serve automated equipment at all
>> levels, home, office, commerical. Why? Nespresso makes minimum $35 per
>> LB retail (actually might be more) on their single serve, Keurig is
>> something like 90% of Green Mountains business. The markups are GIANT on
>> these portioned products.
>>
>> I will make this claim though: any manual method made by someone who has
>> tasted the result, made an adjustment to their taste, and can repeat the
>> steps with reasonable care will, empirically, in blind test, produce
>> better coffee than the fanciest single serve brewer, be in Nespresso,
>> Clover, Trifecta or whatever. Brewing is a system where human input,
>> evaluation and adjustment cannot be adequately duplicated.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> --
Every path but your own is the path of fate.  --Thoreau