[Homeroast] Single cup brewers

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Mon Nov 1 17:34:06 CDT 2010

My 2 cents:  the Trifecta  from Bunn is an automated aeropress, and I
don't think it is the best single serve machine.

There is HUGE money right now on single serve automated equipment at
all levels, home, office, commerical. Why? Nespresso makes minimum
$35 per LB retail (actually might be more) on their single serve,
Keurig is something like 90% of Green Mountains business. The markups
are GIANT on these portioned products.

I will make this claim though: any manual method made by someone who
has tasted the result, made an adjustment to their taste, and can
repeat the steps with reasonable care will, empirically, in blind
test, produce better coffee than the fanciest single serve brewer, be
in Nespresso, Clover, Trifecta or whatever. Brewing is a system where
human input, evaluation and adjustment cannot be adequately
duplicated.

Tom

PS: changed the subject lines because it pains me to see HS on our
homeroast list!

>Not to be too cynical, there is the McDonald's law suit looming over
>the industry...
>

>>>Whoa.  Along comes a brewer-merchant with a reputation for responsible
>>>testing  procedures offering a "the best single serving coffee maker"
>>>that allows a brewing range topping at 192 degrees and bottoming at
>>>187 ! !!
>>
>>You really think they have "responsible testing?"  I'd suggest it's
>>a lot closer to really good marketing and attention to profit
>>margins.  The best single server coffee maker was likely the Clover
>>and might now be www.trifectaexperience.com, but there is no way
>>it's a machine from HS.
>>
>>Ira

>>Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820

-Tom