[Homeroast] Hottop Repair and Service

Demian Ebert coffehound at gmail.com
Mon May 31 23:04:42 CDT 2010

Afternoon-
I just finished putting the screws back in my hottop. A few months ago the
machine started leaking beans on the second of back-to-back roasts. I
ignored it for a while and stopped doing back-to-back roasts unless I needed
to. Eventually it dropped almost 20 g of coffee into the cooling tray during
a roast and I finally decided to do something about it. I sent an email to
Hottop USA describing the problem and had a reply and diagnosis in under two
hours on a Sunday. The problem was a faulty solenoid or spring on the bean
chute door. I ordered a replacement. Today I finally had some free time to
tear the machine apart and put the new parts in. I've got to say the
instructions on the Hottop site were spot on perfect. Everything fit and
seems to work. I tested it without beans and the door opens just fine now.
The old spring seems a little stiff and sticky compared to the new one. It
could simply be a build-up of coffee oil that was preventing the spring from
doing it's job.

Also vaccuumed a pretty good pile of chaff out of the internals of the
machine. I'll have to take the back panel off more frequently now that I've
broken all the screws loose.

Demian
Portland, OR