[Homeroast] Gene Cafe Cleaning

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Mon May 31 17:47:03 CDT 2010

The roaster parts can certainly withstand temperatures higher than boiling
water, so mix a solution of Simple Green in your pressure cooker.  Soak the
parts for an extended period at higher temperature in it.  Simple Green =
stronger when hotter  Try Ethyl alcohol or Acetone to dissolve the gunk,
too.

Water is an easy rinse for any of these cleaners and solvents.  A swab with
Simple Green solution after every few roasts would prevent the miasma of
oils and chaff from building up on the roasting surfaces.  Then you won't
have to excuse the trash buildup as "seasoning."

Air is maybe 0.9999 of the bean's contact with heat in any roaster, plus
some IR in a drum. The air and the IR don't "season," so the gunk buildup
must have its own following. Po' beans.

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!

Got Grinder?