[Homeroast] BBQ drum roasting

Ed Needham beans at homeroaster.com
Mon May 31 00:11:16 CDT 2010

I've experimented over the years with different buffers between the direct
flame and the beans in a perforated drum.  What I've discovered is that the
direct flame still roasts coffee well, as long as the drum agitation is
adequate.  The end result is not as good as with a buffer to shield the
direct flame from the beans.  I usually roast an 8 lb roast, and with
ceramic perforated tiles covering the whole flame area, the roast is too
slow.  I now use the perfed ceramic tiles only directly under the roasting
drum, with plenty of space around the perimeter for the heat to rise.  Using
a cookie sheet as a buffer did not work. The roast result was dismal.
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homeroaster.com