[Homeroast] BBQ drum roasting

Justin Schwarz houstini at comcast.net
Sun May 30 23:32:35 CDT 2010

I have been having trouble with this grill ever since I switched to natural gas.  I had hoped for a more consistent flame, not having to worry about running out of gas or having to deal with cheap regulators freezing.  Unfortunately I had problems getting any sort of quick temperature change with that mass of tiles below the drum.  This will make roasting in the winter much easier for sure.

When I wanted to cut heat after 1C was underway I cut the center burner completely and was able to achieve 5:30 from 1C to EOR on my first roast that had a pretty good bean temp momentum of 20-25 degree/minute temperature rise prior to 1C.  The flame is a good 4 inches below the drum and the 3 tube burners run left to right.

-Justin