[Homeroast] Cooling the Roast

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Wed May 26 22:43:28 CDT 2010

Changed the subject to split from iRoast Alternatives.

I did roast up a batch of Gaut beans yesterday and was more prepared for
cooling the beans this time.  The Behmor actually does a pretty good job of
cooling the beans to start of for the first couple of minutes if you open
the door after 30 sec to a minute, it's just later that the cooling process
hits a knee curve and starts to take longer and longer to get to room temp.

After hitting cool, and letting it start cooling for about two minutes, I
donned the Ove Gloves, hit stop, pulled the chaff tray and stuck it on top
of the roaster, pulled the drum, closed the door and hit cool again.  I then
opened the drum and dumped the beans in the cooler and fired up the shop
vac.  Got a bit of chaff all over, but the beans cooled pretty quickly.

This morning, I made a full 8 cup (40 oz) Chemex pot for the first time for
my first day of work at the new job.  I failed to adjust the grinder from
it's half pot setting... so it took longer then 5 minutes to run the water
through.  I'll have to adjust the grinder again, but as only one co-worker
took me up on the offer of coffee, I ended up having a lot of coffee staling
in the thermos, so I think I'll stick with half batches at least for now.

It was a busy day at work, paperwork, IT issues, and even some
troubleshooting of a radio link in the lab that I managed to get running.  I
think I'll enjoy this new job.

Take care,

-Chris