[Homeroast] iRoast alternative

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Mon May 24 10:09:49 CDT 2010

After reading about and then listening to the talks from the SCAA library
about the importance of cooling the beans to room temp within four minutes
after roasting to prevent the sugars from loosing their solubility and
reducing the sweetness in the cup by as much as 50% when going from 4
minutes to 5 minutes cooling when using paper filter, I've started using my
homemade bean cooler again with the Behmor to accellerate the cooling.  This
is something I put together with a steamer basket insert that normally sits
on a pot I found at a thrift store and the base of a storage cylinder I
bought years ago at Smart and Final.  It was a perfect friction fit so I
didn't need to do anything except cut a jagged hole for the shop vac hose to
connect to with a box cutter.

Another talk I listened to actually talked about shutting off the stirring
rod for bean coolers as the rod can form gaps that let all the air flow come
through the gap just behind the stirring element instead of through the bed
of beans, but another speaker on the panel mentioned that not stirring could
lead to stratification where the beans on top are cooled at a different rate
as the beans on the bottom.

I pour in the beans which covers the holes to draw the air through the bed
and I'll give the contraption a shake once in a while or stir with my hands,
but really it cools pretty quickly.

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/yakster/?action=view&current=IMG_5038.jpg

-Chris