[Homeroast] iRoast alternative

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon May 24 07:43:56 CDT 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 1:57 AM, Terry wrote:

> I have been roasting for about 2 years now.  I frequent the thrift stores as often as I can hoping to find poppers.  Yesterday I finally found an original Poppery for $3.99.  I was so excited.  Part of me is afraid to modify it because I have messed up a few generic poppers.  I took the heating element out of one to cool my roasts so I don't have to install a switch to cut the heater.  I may just give it a go as is for awhile.

I'm working on building a bean cooler; its slow going as I have very little free time at the moment.
I'm taking the brew basket from a discarded percolator coffee urn and trying to build a stirrer out of oak which will spin around the shaft that it uses to perk the coffee up the middle of the basket; the initial concept will be turned manually, but I have a motor that I may add to the thing in a later revision. The air will be drawn down through the beans by a large diameter rack fan which is approximately the same diameter as the brew basket.

I'll post pictures when I get it all done.
-
allon