[Homeroast] iRoast alternative

Randy randyr5 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 22 10:15:18 CDT 2010

Search the thrift stores and look for a Poppery I.  It uses an AC motor
and can be easily re-wired so that the switch turns the heater only on
and off.  I have the fan rant to a box with a Radio Shack transformer
and a dimmer switch which allows me to control the fan speed.  The
transformer gives me and extra 10 volts if needed.  I have been using
this for years and am quite happy with the quality of my roasts.  I'm
not really into roast profiles in search of the perfect brew.  I just
like good, fresh roasted coffee, and I get that with this set-up, and it
cost next to nothing.

Randy

On 3/29/2010 1:47 PM, Kim Phipps wrote:
> Dave, as long as you're only doing about 3/4 cup at a time, and this is just something to tide you over till June, why not just go for the old school hot air popcorn popper route? I roast until right about the 2nd crack too with my Poppery 2. I have been meaning to upgrade eventually, but since I roast small amounts and I'm enjoying the darker roasts, I figure if I like what I got, don't fix it. Smoke goes up the stove vent, chaff into the sink. No fuss.
>

>> Today our well-used iRoast 2 started acting up, so I went online to see
>> about a replacement.  Out of stock until JUNE?!?!?!?  Oh no! (visions of
>> being without coffee)
>>
>> So now what?  Are there any alternatives that would keep an iRoast user
>> happy?  I roast in pretty small quantities, about 3/4 of a cup of green
>> beans at a time.  Preferred roasts are on the darker side, usually into 2nd
>> crack, but no espresso.
>>
>> Noise, smoke and within reason cost are not issues.
>>
>> As an aside, anyone know why they should be out of stock for so long?  I
>> thought everything was "just in time" manufacturing these days. )
>>
>> Dave
>> St. Petersburg, Florida USA

IN GOD WE TRUST