[Homeroast] Roasters

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Thu May 20 12:19:21 CDT 2010

A Variac does nothing to remove spikes.  It simply supplies a steady rate
change to whatever is put in.  The output can, for example, be set at 110%
so if you have only 100 volts in, you will get 110 volts out, but if the
input spikes to say 130 volts, the output will spike to 143 volts. (110%) To
remove spikes you need at least a surge suppressor.  A line conditioner
would be optimal, but they are quite expensive.  For the EEs out there, this
is a simplified explanation. I know that the autotransformer does supply a
slight inductance filtering, but at line frequency it is negligible.

Mike Chester