[Homeroast] Roasters

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Thu May 20 12:10:05 CDT 2010

I completely agree with you on why roasters are poorly made, but you are
dead wrong about American cars.  What you say was, unfortunately, true about
25-30 years ago, but is no longer the case.  Of the 5 cars rated as best in
initial quality this year, 4 are built by GM or Ford.  Back in the 70s and
80s, we definitely dropped the ball.  Cars were poorly built and most were
gas guzzlers.  When the oil shortages came, the only companies producing
cars with good mileage were foreign.  The Japanese car makers made, and
still do make good products and I can see why someone who switched to them
in the 80s would have no reason to switch back, but our cars are now again
world class.  My wife drives a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer with 140,000 miles on
it and it still looks and runs like new.  All we have ever done to it is
routine maintenance.  In fact, it had its first tune-up last week.  Toyota
has had a problem with unexpected full throttle acceleration with some of
its vehicles for quite awhile, but has denied its existence and tried to
cover it up.   They still won't admit that it is a computer problem, even
when shown strong evidence, as a large scale recall of their cars for
computer replacement would be very costly.  It is cheaper to settle a few
wrongful death lawsuits than to fix the problem.  This is the same mistake
the American manufacturers made years ago, and I am surprised that they did
not learn from our errors.  In the 70s a memo to that effect at Ford
surfaced where an analysis of their exploding gas tanks indicated that it
would cost less to pay the victims families a settlement than to fix the
defect.  When this surfaced, they were vilified in the press and still are
trying to live down the embarrassment.  Since I am obviously not a fan of
foreign cars, part of me hopes that Toyota continues on this path and ruins
its reputation, but people are dying and being maimed and getting this
corrected is the most important thing that they can do.
I am sorry for this off topic rant, but I get really tired of constantly
hearing that Americans no longer know how to build things well.  Lately we
do seem to be infected with the "Wal-Mart" syndrome where low cost trumps
all else.  I hope that we can get over it.  We all roast our own coffee for
the much higher quality (plus it's fun) not to save money, so we can
appreciate at least one example.

Mike - now off the soap box - Chester