[Homeroast] Another home roaster takes the plunge

michael brown disracer at msn.com
Tue May 18 23:56:32 CDT 2010

I know this a home roasters list.  This is where i started.  I just want
 to share my excitement with fellow enthusiasts.
I took my first big
plunge when i got a 3kilo USRC roaster and leased a small warehouse
space to start going after wholesale accounts.  That was in January.
And things have been good.  Every month has trumped the previous month,
got one really good account (she owns 2 cafes and catering business), a
few smaller accounts, and more in the works.
NOW, i've been
approached to buy a coffee house here in town.  The potential here is
huge.  I'd move my roaster into the cafe, clear out all nick-knacks they
 have cluttering the space, simplify the menu, retrain the staff, and
bring the focus back to coffee.
I thought i took my biggest risk
earlier this year when i signed the lease to the warehouse.  But i still
 work weekends at my "regular" job.  If this deal comes through, NOW
i'll be taking my biggest risk.  I'd have to quit my job to devote
myself full time to the cafe and wholesale business.
My bank is
looking in to what they could offer me as far as financing, so this
might not even work out at all if the financing doesn't come through.
And
 my roasting began with sweet marias.  It started with the i-Roast 2,
then the Behmor.  I actually had my first wholesale account with the
Behmor (my church).  I still read and follow the list and contribute
when i can.  So if nothing else, this is a letter of thanks.  To Tom
especially, and to all you who make this list what it is.
I have no
idea what God has in store for me next.  It might be to buy and revamp
this cafe, it might be to be turned down on the financing and focus on
wholesale, heck it might be to fail entirely in the coffee biz (i sure
hope not).
One thing is certain; it's been one heck of a ride and i
am very blessed to have found a hobby that i might could make a living
off of.
Okay now i'm rambling.  it's nearing midnight and i've got
deliveries in the morning and about 15 pounds to grind.
Thanks again
friends!
God Bless!
Happy Roasting!