[Homeroast] Poisson's ratio WAS: Re: Compak vs Macap vs Rocky Grinders

John A C Despres johndespres at gmail.com
Tue May 18 06:52:27 CDT 2010

Poisson's ratio is simply about contraction or expansion when something is
stretched or compacted. In my mind it will work in the case of solids or
loose particles.

John

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Kirk Janowiak <janomac at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, Mike, but Poisson applies here with ground coffee as well. Way back
> when I was taking agronomy coursework at Purdue, we used Poisson ratios in
> looking into soil compaction issues. "System" or no, Poisson ratios are
> discussed in any number of arrangements aggregate from sand to concrete.
> Doesn't have to be a solid like metal.
>
> Kirk
> (Janomac)
>

> On May 17, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Mike Koenig wrote:
>
>  Ray,
>>
>> Please try not to abuse scientific phenomena.  Poisson's ratio has nothing
>> to do with systems of particles, and applies only to solid objects, (like
>> rubber or metal).
>>
>> Tamping in one axis cannot correct for clumps - you will get less dense
>> areas in your puck.  Applying some lateral force (I think you say you let
>> the vibration of your grinder settle the puck) could take care of some
>> clumping (though I'm quite curious why your grinder vibrates that much,
>> doesn't seem right to me)...
>>
>> --mike
>>

>> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 2:55 AM, <raymanowen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  The Major (Silver Fireplug; BUFF) burrs do wonderful things to coffee
>>> beans
>>> once again after 5 years' use, renewed a couple of months ago.  When I
>>> first
>>> got it, the maintenance tag said they'd been in use for 10 years- I
>>> presume
>>> at *$. There's a story in there somewhere.
>>>
>>> (Can they even access the burrs in their present push-button pop
>>> machines-
>>> and would they?) Employees in the SCAA, SCAB or SCAM union punch in, push
>>> buttons, make change, punch out and cash their check. Seems like little
>>> else
>>> was interesting to the majority in Denver town when I was seeking a
>>> reason
>>> to enjoy espresso.
>>>
>>> Why seek to enjoy espresso? As I said before, I was associated with a
>>> fellow
>>> that won the bid on an equipment lot from the SS United States in dry
>>> dock...
>>>
>>> "Hey, Ray- What do you know about this espresso machine?
>>>
>>> "Nuthin-' but I can count- it has 5 or 6 stations, and looks like it came
>>> from a Tijuana Cat House, with all the black and red Naugahyde and gold
>>> (polished Brass?) pieces...  Thus started my quest to find out how Real
>>> Espresso should taste.
>>>
>>> Looks like SCAA might as well be SCCA, as much as they do for the
>>> commercial
>>> cup.  Almost made "Commercial" a four-letter word, instead of "Artisan"
>>> the
>>> bean deserves.
>>>
>>> In my opinion, the Grinder is Everything.  Any real coffee shop ought to
>>> keep a stack of new burrs like the Cincinnati Kid had a stack of chips at
>>> the table in Las Vegas.
>>>
>>> Who promotes the palaver about coffee clumps surviving the packing tamp?
>>> Stand up and be counted. So coffee clumps have more structural integrity
>>> than the buildings in San Francisco in 1906, Philippines 1968, or Haiti
>>> more
>>> recently. By comparison, the raw coffee clumps out of the new burrs in