[Homeroast] Roasted a bit darker than I wanted.

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Mon May 17 01:34:08 CDT 2010

Joe-
I apologize, and may the fleas of a thousand camels invade my armpits. Or,
early transmission failure during drive time on the Dan Ryan?

Must have had the same mom- speling and gramer are other art forms!  I take
sentences apart in my mind when I'm reading- A subject accomplishes or does
something, maybe To some other thing or person.  I don't usually bother
about the origin of the statement but I have to picture it much as a stage
scene, so as to remember it.

I only had the slightest WTFO, when the statement was attributed to Tom,
because of the machine I have that makes small pieces out of big pieces.  In
the next scene, I was imagining an adjustment to my machine so that its
conical sharp cutting surfaces would have greater or less separation at the
OD, where the final size of the small pieces is determined.

I don't think the lattice structure of the (coffee) particles is the
resistance determinant to the water flow, even as roasting changes the
structure, because it is still so many orders of magnitude Larger than the
sub-microscopic water molecules.

Does the term "Soak time" mean anything in coffee brewing? As in, the water
molecules enter the lattice structure, soak up some of the pent-up beauty in
the exact form later to be consumed- "exeunt stage left." Something rong
with the purveyors that want to sell a short cup so you can add glue, goo
and Moo to it. C-Rats might have been nearly as good in 'Nam.

Lately, my grinder numbers and packing technique have really changed, but
the results are unbelievable. The first shots of the Ethiopia Sidamo MC
decaf were outstanding, using my starting numbers for grind size on a new
roast.

The last of that roast went into a shot this morning- six days' age, and
grounds 31% (2.25X vol) larger than starting size. WOW!  Home run.  As the
Rockies stadium announcer says, "That one's outta here, and it ain't comin'
back!"

I know what Tom says, you can take to the bank.  I haven't seen the alleged
quote, but any statement is capable of being misunderstood, misquoted or
spun. Anybody can get a $2000 or $20,000+ coffee maker- and make misteaks
rather than fine coffee. I got the adjustable model small piece maker to
eliminate that área de conflito.

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!

Colorado springtime- More than 8 hours until next snow storm...