[Homeroast] blend with robustas

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Sun May 16 02:53:01 CDT 2010

Interesting thread. First I'll say without question Robusta is NOT required
for good crema or deep taste and body in an espresso shot. Currently I've
roasted Robusta only once many years ago when Tom first started his "ugh"
(thumbs down) offerings with a low grade Vietnamese Robusta. Man that stuff
was so foul I couldn't get a hasmet team to take it away!

Which is not to say all Robusta is low grade be it from Vietnam or other
origin. This was proven quite resoundingly at the PNW Gathering II during a
cupping of Panama samples (IIRC) Tom hosted with two sleepers. One a high
quality Robusta and the other a very rare and sought after bean, Island of
St. Helena, treated most abysmally. The ISH was roasted and sealed in a
canning jar straight from the roast while HOT and left sealed until the
Gathering. During the cupping virtually without fail everyone picked the
same terrible tasting coffee as the Robusta. Surprise, surprise. It was NOT
the Robusta but the fouly treated ISH!

And now almost a decade later I've begun researching quality Robusta for a
specific reason. Developing a high octane dark Northern Italian style blend
to the tune of 20 to 30lb a week to begin. They're now using the formerly
Coffee People now Diedrich roasted Black Tiger as their secondary espresso
accounting for about 25% of their total wholesale bean purchaes, to be
replaced by my under development King Cobra, who's venon brings down Tigers
& Elephants but lifts people:) And I'm going to launch it at my coffeehouses
too. Give people what they want so you can do what you want with other
coffees! Oh, and my Delirium will be replacing their current main espresso,
Hairbender.

Slave to the Bean Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
http://www.NorwestCoffee.com

http://www.mckoffee.com/

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/