[Homeroast] blend with robustas

michael brown disracer at msn.com
Sat May 15 23:42:40 CDT 2010

I have a couple of experiences with Robusta.

Firstly, on topic, i bought some from SW a while back to try to work into some espresso blends i was working on.  Heard it was good for crema.  While it might have been, it was bad for flavor (in my taste).  I would encourage you to try it.  If for nothing else, a learning tool.  I can now easily pick up on which competetors have robusta in their blends and feel more confident that mine is more "flavorful."  Try the robusta at 5, 10, and 15% and then, if you can, replace the robusta with a sumatra or guatemala and taste the difference.

Second, after i tried the robusta in my blends and didn't like it, i had some left over.  A friend of mine kept asking for darker and darker beans.  So i took this robusta and burned it, roasted it WAY to dark.  And guess what?  He loved it!  Geesh.  Only goes to show, it's all a matter of taste.

To piggyback on taste.  I have two main espresso blends.  My House Espresso and "Traditional Espresso" (complete with quotations).  My house is a little sweet, mellow bodied blend.  I love it.  Then the "Traditional Espresso" i named with a little tongue-in-cheek humor.  If you want "traditional," i'll give you "traditional."  It's more bold, rich chocolate, heavy body, primarily dark roast coffees.  And guess what?  People love it!  A guy in town who sells espresso machines, equipment, and trains uses my "traditional blend" as his teaching coffee.  (there is no robusta in my "traditional")  Only goes to show...

Oh and when i ran out of Robusta, i've yet to find a coffee that is a sufficient substitute for that friend who wants burnt.  I got close with a sumatra, but "just wasn't the same."

Michael B
b'ham, AL