[Homeroast] blend with robustas

Joseph Robertson theotherjo at gmail.com
Sat May 15 16:48:00 CDT 2010

Ryan,
What I have heard lately is suggesting that some farmers are doing some neat
things with companion planting and really fine tuning the possibilities
with the Robusta varietal. I don't want to go as far to say genetic
engineering but I would not be surprised. Robusta has gotten a bad rap for
years. This has keep the price low for us end users. I can't wait to
play/taste/blend with it. The Italians have for years used a ( I think 10%
or less or more) portion in 'spro blends for a wonderful thick yummy creama.
In one class I had a study was shown on the caffeine/ blood level uptake of
Robusta compared with Arabica. I was blown away. The caffeine blood level
uptake/curve of Arabica was a sharp spike compared to Robusta. In other
words the graph of Robusta looked like a rapid climb to a long platow (did I
spell that right?) then a long buzz time before the effects wore off, so to
speak compared to the up and down spike/buzz time of Arabica.
My thoughts were, ohhh, effect where's off and I need another cup in a
couple hrs. compared to a Robusta experience.
Very interesting stuff.
Joe