[Homeroast] Roasted a bit darker than I wanted.

Derek Bradford derekbradford at gmail.com
Sat May 15 07:00:13 CDT 2010

I don't know about violating any rules of physics, but I've struggled with
this ever since I got into roasting.  Dialing in for City/City+ roasts is
pretty hard, and it is tough to get a good shot.  I have to be extra careful
with dosing and tamping, and sometimes I never really get a good run of
shots out of a batch of beans before they're gone.

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 4:50 AM, <raymanowen at gmail.com> wrote:

> "... the longer/darker the roast the less dense the result, thus, less
> resistance for the shot"
>
> The particulate size out of the grinder is adjustable, and the tamping
> force
> is adjustable too.

I've had times where the burrs were nearly touching, well past what I could
ever use for darker roasts, and tamped as hard as possible, and still could
barely get the shot to last 23 or so seconds, and pull without channelling.

I like lighter roasts for espresso, and sometimes (like this morning,
actually) I like a City roast, depending on origin.  But they can be
difficult shots to build.

--Derek

--
Every path but your own is the path of fate.  --Thoreau