[Homeroast] Compak vs Macap vs Rocky Grinders

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Fri May 14 22:01:27 CDT 2010

I think Macaps are very nice, but if you want doserless I can't
recommend them. And their doserless automatic is goofy. We wanted to
carry them but don't like the chute design. For doser I still like
the Mazer but I use the Compak K3 and have grown to like it.
Adjustment can be very slight movement, but once you get used it,
very reproducible.

Frankly, I have come to think that the best grinder improvment isnt
the grinder. It is having a small shop vac by the grinder! I pull an
SO shot, suck everything out, and can switch coffees easily.
Sometimes I need to compare 3 or 4  blends or SO side by side. Keeps
the whole area so clean too...

>I haven't had a M4 but remember people complaining about it's tendency to
>clump.
>
>On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM, John Borella
><jborella at ct.metrocast.net>wrote:
>
>>  I'd add the Baratza Vario to your list. Grind quality of a Super Jolly for
>>  much less then the M4. I had an M4 for a couple of years & it didn't compare
>>  to an SJ.
>>
>>  John B.
>>

>>  ----- Original Message ----- From: "John and Emma" Subject: > Feedback on
>>  grinders?
>>

>>>  I have heard many talk of using the Rocky on this list, know there is lots
>>>  of praise for the Super Jolly and Major. How does the Compak K3 compare to
>>>  the Macap M4 (similar prices in Canada) and the Rocky (cheapest of the
>>>  bunch
>>>  in Canada)? I have not heard much from people on any of the Compak or
>>>  Macap
>>>  Grinders? Are these just not a popular?

>>  Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>  http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820

-Tom