[Homeroast] Roasted a bit darker than I wanted.

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Fri May 14 21:29:17 CDT 2010

I roasted about a pound of some very small beans in the full sunshine
in a wok over an outside fire in near ninety degree Alabama spring
weather.  I found that when I moved the beans inside they looked a lot
darker than they did in direct sunlight, if I had good hearing or been
able to set up my cell phone sound spectrogram,  I am sure I would
have observed some second cracks going on before I quit.  Anyway,
these are the first dark roasted beans of my own that I have had in
probably more than two years.  I noticed a couple of things.  One is
that some of the subtle flavors I found in an earlier lighter roast of
this same coffee are simply missing.  Second, it is easier to draw a
non-squirting espresso shot through a bear bottom portafilter basket
with a darker roast than it is with a lighter roast.  I understand the
first difference but I don't have any idea why the second occurred.
       pecan jim