[Homeroast] SCAA Resource Library now open to the public

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Thu May 13 19:33:32 CDT 2010

I've been enjoying browsing the library, especially the audio files, some of
which I've downloaded and listened to on my MP3 player today on a round-trip
to San Francisco on family business that was sadly lacking in coffee.

Like Ed, I found the "How to obtain excellence with drum roasters"
presentation very interesting, especially with respect to cooling the roast
to room temp within four minutes to retain the soluble sugars before they
combine with other compounds in the coffee to loose their solubility and
hence sweetness when put through a paper filter.  Ed started a thread on H-B
with more detail here:
http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/cooling-roast-and-sweetness-t14211.html

I'm going to try dumping my beans from the Behmor after a minute in the cool
cycle into my old homemade been cooler and compare the results.  An
interesting experiment would be to compare press pot to filter coffee as the
press pot (or espresso) should retain the less soluble sugars that would be
otherwise filtered out.

-Chris