[Homeroast] [OT] Mother's Day Coffee?

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Tue May 11 22:17:01 CDT 2010

Special coffees on Mother's day? Man!  A friend was in a wholesale
distribution office in Denver last week- "Ray, why were they stabbing the
coffee bags to pull little samples to roast and test?"

I've wondered that myself. I know if the ends are chain stitched, like the
100# bags of Purina dog food we used to get for our dog Archimedes, about 30
years ago, you don't really want to start pulling that stitch apart unless
you plan to go all the way- 'cause it will.

Paul brought a 2 - 3 oz sample for me to try. Hah! Tom wouldn't even have
crap like this on his floor. The Fresh Roast couldn't get them in to 2nd
this morning, although I was just running it on a 75% duty cycle. Maybe they
did touch 2nd- that's really all I wanted.

The roasted sample batch looks wretched, at least a half-dozen different
origins, and it hints at a developing Eau de Bandimere drag strip ! The Viet
Cong beans did that, but only after a glorious start. Then all the negative
chatter scared me and I opened the jars for a daily sniff for nearly two
months.

I don't know the ORSOBs that gave Paul these beans, but I know who's giving
them back!   It's like drawing a Chance! card in Coffee Monopoly- "Advance
Roast to Rot Gut- Do Not pass GO!, Do Not collect $200"   No sweat. Even the
bees don't swarm my roast.

Bees are my friends. Two or three bees' show of force and the salesmen can't
leave fast enough. Just thinking- no future in coffee-flavored honey, or
vice versa.

Cheers, Mabuhay, Iechyd da -RayO, aka Opa!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Start your Grinders.