[Homeroast] Part of the Home Roaster Club

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Tue May 11 20:25:50 CDT 2010

The smoke actually masks attack pheromones and pacifies the bees so that
they don't attack.  Never used it myself but my dad, grandma, and friends
have kept bees.  http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-bee-smoker.htm

You guys must be roasting sweet sweet coffee to attract the bees, or it
could just be the aerosolized caffeine from the roasting that they prefer,
as hinted at by this study:
http://www.israel21c.org/201002257731/environment/bees-prefer-qcoffee-and-a-cigaretteq-with-their-nectaror
http://tinyurl.com/2cc7oe9.  Not only do bees like coffee, coffee likes bees
as well according to another study:  http://tinyurl.com/2cd4jty.

I remember climbing a guyed tower in Georgia... we had to climb the tower
early before the wind picked up because wasps were attracted to the tower...
I think it was the sound of the wind through the tower guys.  Hard to get
away from wasps when your fifty feet in the air on a narrow tower.  Maybe
the bees like the sound of the roasting motor?

-Chris