[Homeroast] Bottomless and feckless

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sun May 9 01:22:06 CDT 2010

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 05:33:07PM -0700, Wally Merrin wrote:
> So are we to assume you are ok with editing other people's posts so
> their words are changed to say something completely different?  That is

Mama Mia, now that's a straw man!  Anybody got any Alka-Seltzer?

> what started this, and it isn't the first time it has happened.  There
> have been several occasions where quotes were altered in order to
> establish a straw man argument.  That may be humor to you, but to me it
> is dishonesty.

Just to be clear, if Ray mangles others' words in a serious discussion,
then yeah, that wastes everyone's time.  This was about *THE* CHURCH*
*OF* *THE* *GREEN* *BEAN*, an imaginary congregation of obsessive
coffee homeroasters.  It's frickin' humor *all* the way down.

Chastising someone for loose quoting in a laughter-filled thread says
more about the humorless commenter than the misquoter... and is,
frankly, stupid.  If you just can't stand Ray - and I can sort of
understand that, he's often pretty... opaque - then learn to use your
"next" key; if the irritation is really bad, learn to use your mail
tool's filtering capabilities.

--
Putting out the fire with gasoline?  That trick never works!