[Homeroast] coffee fruit

Andy Thomas adt0611 at yahoo.com
Sat May 8 12:09:31 CDT 2010

In Hawaii, and probably other tropical places, coffee is grown as a garden ornamental as well as a commercial product. Also, I used to come across coffee trees occasionally while hiking. I suppose the seeds had been scattered by birds. The fruit tastes pleasently sweetish, with maybe a plum-cherry-floral taste. But there is very little flesh around the seed, not much more than a thick film of gelatinous fiber. If someone wanted to grow and market coffee for the fruit, it would probably take many generations of selection to develop coffee cherries with substantial edible pulp.