[Homeroast] Bottomless and feckless

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Fri May 7 10:17:21 CDT 2010

On May 7, 2010, at 4:21 AM, Sandy Andina wrote:

> someone mentioned a carbon-fiber portafilter---isn't that material a lousy conductor of heat, and would make an underextracted shot (if it survived the temps)? I have some carbon-fiber pens, which are cool. OTOH, I think a carbon-fiber shell would look fierce on an espresso machine.....although it'd cost more than the machine itself.  (Talking about the stuff embedded into a resin, of course).

A lousy conductor of heat wouldn't necessarily affect the shot temp too badly; a lousy conductor of heat has another name - insulator.
It wouldn't keep the shot temp stable by being the same temperature as the grouphead, but it also wouldn't pull that heat away from the water as it extracts.

-
allon