[Homeroast] Bottomless

Dan d54696 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 12:26:12 CDT 2010

Well, Rayo, I wonder if you've ever tried a bottomless portafilter? I'll bet not. They have serious advantages and few disadvantages. I wonder why you offer an opinion if you've never used one? I wonder if you've even seen on used? Bet not.

I used a metal lathe to cut the bottoms off mine. You can use other means such as a drill press and hole saw. The advantages are:

1. Nothing to keep clean. Coffee never touches it.
2. Nothing to keep warm or cold. The Coffee doesn't touch it.
3. It keeps the Coffee a bit warmer. (This has been tested).
4. It allows more clearance for machines where you can't get a mug under the regular PF.
5. It is fun to watch, though that wears off...
6. It does allow you to see how the coffee is packed etc... though that wears off too.
7. It does once in awhile make a mess if you don't know how to load a basket, but if you see 6., above, that will happen very rarely and then almost never.

Most of the best coffee bars in SF use them (Bluebottle et al). If they were crap, I doubt they would. If they offered more disadvantages over advantages, I doubt they would.

Thanks again, Rayo for your well-founded and experienced opinion. If you want, I'll make the trim the mouthpiece of your trombone so it looks like a bottomless at no charge, shipping included.

dan