[Homeroast] [homeroast] 2010 Nicaragua COE scores up

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Wed May 5 18:44:11 CDT 2010

Mexico, Honduras and Nicaragua are 3 origins that have very nice mild
coffees, good solid classic cup. But they are also 3 places that
consistently damage the coffee in processing/exporting/shipping (bad
preparation, drying containers stuck at humid ports). The tradition
in much of Nic. is to transport semi-dried coffee to dry mills in
hotter, lower areas where they finish the drying on black plastic
tarps laid on the ground. It's not a great system. I thought we had
done well working with one family who had a house on the farm and a
house at the mill. They live with their coffee! But still they are
just good ... we have been going after the unique cultivars, the Java
Longberry, Pacamara etc in order to find something more in the cup.
But what I think you will see in this auction is a few good coffees
with good bidding, then a lot of plain decent clean coffees getting
crazy bids, mostly from Asia, where honestly they go nuts for
anything with a mark or brand or seal on it. I know a few roasters
backing out of COE completely. Not me - I believe in it, but I won't
bid on anything that is truly not EXCELLENT and there have been some
odd juries who pump non-excellent coffees up the point scale into the
realm of the ridiculous. The top 10 always has a few coffees that
make me seriously doubt the process, and then you have a 15th or 17th
place coffee that can easily be top 10 but isn'. Anyway even with
it's flaws, it's still important, it still promotes great coffee and
great farming practices, it still helps in the discovery of great
farms, and is a way to champion the small grower over the big ones,
and we are still involved. I will be on the Guatemala jury later this
month, in the middle of a trip around Central America to other
farms...

Tom

>I must say that I really like the origin flavor of a good Nicaragua.
>Up there on my list of favorites. They are just few and far between.
>
>--
>Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
>Amherst MA.
>http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/