[Homeroast] Bottomless Portafilter

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Wed May 5 03:02:31 CDT 2010

Sure is a great learning tool for this trainee. The Carpeso really had what
appeared to be a pressurized pf handle.  There is no back pressure generated
in the carbon fiber pieces that are easily removed.  Take out 1 Torx screw,
the CF pieces fall out, and what's left is a completely open aluminum
bayonet that locks the 15mm filter basket with 3 tabs instead of 2.

It's just pretend, just like the apparent OPV that doesn't relieve pressure
on the pump and valve body in the new rebuilt Crapesso any more than the
original Luxe did.  Maybe it's supposed to be used with LaVazzatory
coffee...

This Ethiopia Dry-Process Sidamo decaf IS absolutely fabulous, but it's odd
in that my normal starting point for a new roast is an actual 20 spacing of
the burrs on the Major. A little too small to start on this FC roast, but I
haven't opened it up fast enough.  Keeps trying to stall.

Nuts! I'm going to do a 25 right now- was at 23 already. Have never gone
that wide before for espresso  Stand By...

As Victor Borge used to say- "*Oh, God!*" There's grind aroma, taste and
body here- Oh, how buttery smooth, not the finger nails grating-on-slate
explosive brightness of the earliest shots.  This is decaf?  Pferdescheiße!
Who'd-a-thunkit? And I only got a Fiver, dammit.

Carlos better get over here quick, or he's going to have to wait for my next
roast. OK- first thing, I'll use some of the Costa Rica/ Moki's Farm/
Bolivia Caranavi "blend" in my tailings jar.

Yes, more rest is mo betta, along with the dist. H2O.  I cut a rubber inner
tube gasket to seal the bottom of my unused single filter basket. Just don't
run it long enough to break stuff.  Things they don't tell you in the
manual- learning the hard way like Dad always said.

Cheers, Mabuhay, Iechyd da -RayO, aka Opa!

Caveat emptor