[Homeroast] Bottomless Portafilter

Derek Bradford derekbradford at gmail.com
Mon May 3 20:03:19 CDT 2010

Ryan,

I've used both flat and curved bottom tampers (both the European and the
American curve), but I've only used one kind per machine.  With all the
tampers, careful dosing and tamping eventually led to consistent,
well-prepared shots.  I once switched from a flat to the European curve
(which is the most curved of the two), and it took me a couple days to get
used to it.  But once I did, it was the same as any other tamper. For me,
there doesn't seem to be a difference.

--Derek

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Ryan M. Ward
<silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com>wrote:

> I was wondering, since we are on the topic of tamping. I have always used
> flat bottom tampers because of the distribution issue, although have seen
> several rounded bottom tampers on the market (In fact, thinking back to
> several years now- when I bought my Silvia, I think the Silvia might ship
> with a cheapo plastic, round bottom tamper).
>
> I have always been curious about what the shot quality looks like when
> tamped with a round bottom tamper but have always been sceptical. Has anyone
> used these? Any thoughts?
>
> --
> Ryan M. Ward
>
> --
Every path but your own is the path of fate.  --Thoreau