[Homeroast] Bottomless Portafilter

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon May 3 11:35:13 CDT 2010

On May 3, 2010, at 11:13 AM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:
> Remember, more important than what espresso machine you're using is what
> grinder and condition of grinder. You can get better shots with a $200
> espresso machine and $1000 grinder than a $20,000 espresso machine and a
> $100 grinder.

True. My grinder is fairly decent, an RR45. I should probably replace the burrs...it's been <look up email> holy cow, longer than I thought, but certainly under 50#.  Anyway, I think it's adequate, not necessarily  perfect. But I think my cheapo thermoblock machine is the weakest link at the moment. I can do decent shots, but lack consistency. I think a PID'ed Silvia would be a great step forward. Eventually, I may upgrade the grinder.

On May 3, 2010, at 11:13 AM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:
> Quit hitting the PF up side the head! It can often cause cracks in the build which of course leads
> to channeling.

Even before tamping?
How about banging against the table?

I do often bang and/or tap the side with the tamper, but that's before tamping.
Once tamped, it's ready. Tamping is the last thing. Well, except for swooshing any loose grounds off the edge with my finger.

-
allon