[Homeroast] Bottomless Portafilter

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Mon May 3 10:13:02 CDT 2010

Remember, more important than what espresso machine you're using is what
grinder and condition of grinder. You can get better shots with a $200
espresso machine and $1000 grinder than a $20,000 espresso machine and a
$100 grinder.

And whether a $300 or $3000 grinder it's important to replace burrs on a
regular basis, about twice as often as manufacturer stated burr life. For
instance Rocky's burrs are rated 200#, but many years experience with Rocky
tells me with very high level of confidence Rocky's burrs should be replaced
every 75 to at most 100# when grinding for espresso. IIRC eighth set of
burrs went in a couple weeks ago. (Yup, still using Rocky at home espresso
bar.) Same goes for Mazzers. Major burrs may be rated 800# (IIRC it's 800)
but grind quality drops off way before 800#...

Yes agree level, consistent pressure tamp is important if tamping. Unlevel
tamp results in lopsided over/under extracted shot. An old school bad
habit/practice I still see too often is tamping THEN tapping the PF to knock
grinds down off inner basket wall then tamping again. Quit hitting the PF up
side the head! It can often cause cracks in the build which of course leads
to channeling.

Slave to the Bean Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
http://www.NorwestCoffee.com

http://www.mckoffee.com/

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/