[Homeroast] Bottomless Portafilter

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon May 3 08:33:18 CDT 2010

On May 3, 2010, at 8:06 AM, Peter Louton wrote:

> So, if I understand, I need to just really pay attention to my distribution and grind and not so much the tamp, right?

And I quote....

On May 3, 2010, at 12:36 AM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:
> Now OTOH a bad tamp CAN destroy what might have been perfectly fine distribution...

So they're both important.

We had a shop here (Brew Mountain) which paid as close attention to their espresso as you - all nekkid, timed, and perfect. If they didn't do it right, they'd do it over again. It is worth the wait.

Sadly, they closed :(

I guess it wasn't worth the wait to enough people in that neighborhood.

But it was a shot of espresso from these folks that taught me what good espresso can be, and gave me something to aspire to. I've greatly increased the quality of my espresso, but have not achieved consistency and am unlikely to do so until I upgrade my machine. Maybe this year will be the year I get that Silvia.

still regretting not purchasing an used S21 while driving through KS a few years back. it could have been a dream machine. Then again, maybe it would have been a nightmare.....
-
allon