[Homeroast] Bottomless Portafilter

Peter Louton peter at midwestbicycleworks.com
Mon May 3 07:06:18 CDT 2010

Hi Mike,

So, if I understand, I need to just really pay attention to my distribution and grind and not so much the tamp, right?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On May 3, 2010 12:39 AM, miKe mcKoffee <mcKona at comcast.net> wrote:

Actually no I don't have PF's with spouts for use at either of my

coffeehouses. Every single shot by every single person at my shops is pulled

nekkid.

Quitting using a nekkid PF because of getting spritzes is like quitting

driving because your car needs a tune-up so badly it won't run. Ignoring

problems, ie primarily bad distribution, won't make the problem go away. BTW

tamp is not the main culprit of bad shots. The tamp's purpose is to preserve

the distribution. Don't believe me? No problem, stop by and I'll pull

non-channeling zero tamp shots, piece of cake. However the problem with zero

tamp shots is the group gets dirtier faster! Now OTOH a bad tamp CAN destroy

what might have been perfectly fine distribution...

Do spritzes make a mess? Of course they do. And everyone gets them now and

then. I recall getting one just today during a rush when I got sloppy with

my build, and it was immediately evident so I killed the shot and started

the beverage over. Had it not been for pulling nekkid a sub-standard shot

might have been served! Spouts can hide a multitude of sins which result in

crappy shots. And the one before that was over a week ago. Improve your

technique so you don't get channeling spritzes all the time. If you can't

pull a beautiful nekkid shot 99% of the time, you have work to do with your

PF build technique plain and simple.

Slave to the Bean Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee

http://www.NorwestCoffee.com

http://www.mckoffee.com/

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/

Homeroast at host.sweetmariascoffee.com